Tis the season for pumpkin spice everything — whether some people like it or not! There’s no shame in having a taste for what others might call basic, and after the past year or so, it’s definitely okay to treat yourself to the simple, delicious pleasures of autumn. The following recipe is to make your own enchanted pumpkin spice that can be used to make your own PSLs or anything else your heart desires.
What you need:
- 2 Cinnamon sticks (whole)
- 1 dime-sized hunk of dried ginger
- 2 pinches of Allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 star anise seed
- Mortar & Pestle (or coffee grinder)
- Small spice jar with lid
Put all of your ingredients into your receptacle. You can use a mortar & pestle to grind these items, but the cinnamon sticks will require a lot of determination and elbow grease. I prefer to use a small coffee bean grinder, which I designate only for spices. Try to use dried, whole versions of the ingredients if you’re able to. Most botanicas carry these ingredients in whole, dried form. If you absolutely cannot obtain whole, dried ingredients then it is totally fine to use powdered spices for this recipe.
Grind all of the ingredients into a fine powder. As you grind, focus on your happiness and pour positive energy into what you’re doing. This is more than just a finely ground blend of spices; It’s also your own personal magical powder — for casting any type of kitchen witchery you want. Blend until the powder is as finely mixed as possible, and then pour it into your chosen jar. (If you have chosen powdered ingredients, you can skip this step entirely and just mix them together directly into your chosen spice jar. Simply secure the lid when you’re done, and then shake it to mix the spices thoroughly.)
- Cinnamon is fiery, and inspires fast movement
- Ginger is just like cinnamon. It’s fiery and is used to speed up manifestation. It’s also good in sex and love magic.
- Allspice is good for attracting wealth and prosperity. It’s also a potent spell ingredient for protecting your family and your home.
- Nutmeg is excellent for numerous magical needs. When drank in ritual beverages — such as a witchy PSL — it inspires clairvoyance. It’s also used in drawing magic, to attract good luck and good outcomes in legal battles. It has also been used in various folk traditions to attract lovers and new friends or business partnerships. It is considered a lucky herb!
- Star Anise Seed is said to aid in divination, relaxation and troubled sleep. It helps prevent nightmares in some beliefs, and can also be used to inspire lust.
- Add a couple pinches of this spice to your morning coffee and whisper positive incantations as you stir to start out your day
- Sprinkle a little on top of some sugar cookies and serve to your friends or loved ones to share positive energy and bring luck, prosperity and joy to the environment.
- Sprinkle a little of this blend onto a burning candle to add a faint scent of pumpkin spice to your environment when you want to really feel festive